Saturday, January 10, 2015

Colin's Groomsmaids

Katie Verbesey
Role: Colin’s Maid of Honor
When Did Colin and Katie First Meet: 27 years ago
Where Did They First Meet: Johnson Ave, Malverne, NY
Where Have They Met Since: Maurice W Downing Elementary, Howard T Herber Middle, AOL Instant Messenger, Facebook Chat, Nyu, Silvercup Studios, the delightful multi-story elevator-less apartment, the actually-delightful first-floor apartment, inside a dark Nissan Stanza when we finally got “Annie,” inside a dark Dodge Caravan when we camped at the Holiday Inn, Frost Middle School, Auld Shebeen, Chevy’s, The Rally to Restore Sanity, Maine Ave, Bluetop Road, Cairn Ridge Drive, Fogarty Court, Jefferson Davis Hwy, LEE HWY.

Song Link: “Taking You Home” by Don Henley: https://myspace.com/lethiworld/video/such-sweet-sorrow-er/48103622 Katie has loved and will always love the show ER.  Carol Hathaway / Julianna Margulies is a big reason she’s a nurse today.  In Carol / Julianna’s final episode, this Don Henley song plays in the final scene, as she has reunites with her beloved Doug Ross / George Clooney!  (Sorry, Katie, given the subject matter, I should have typed "George Clooney!!!"  My mistake.)
Alternate Lyrics: I had a good life in Brooklyn
Before you came.
I had my Park Slope friends and my freedom;
I had more than enough names (Michael Colin RobERt James).
Still thERe was sorrow and emptiness
'Til you made me glad.
Preschool pictures look like I'm trying to strangle you, 
But you also gave me strength I nevER knew I had.

By the time we moved to MavERne, this love had become like nothing I have evER known.
You took my hand, sis.
To the Poconos, Westhampton, and Peconic Dunes did we roam.

ThERe were days, lonely days
When Ingrid wouldn't throw us a crumb.
But we kept on believing
That this day would come.

And this love
Was like nothing I have evER known.
You took my hand, sis.
We tried to give Duffy a bone.
Not enough -- he still ate us out of house and home.
Home, where we camped on the back lawn togethER,
WhERe Mr. Reynolds' songs stayed in our heart forevER.

And this love
Was like nothing I have evER known.
You took my hand, sis.
As we listened to each peaceful wave machine tone,
And each less peaceful nana moan.

And this love
Was like nothing I have evER known.
You took my hand, sis.
We got a single vanilla ice cream cone. 

And this love, (yours/mine/mom's/dad's love),
Was like nothing I have evER known.
We all took each other's hands, sis.
We all did the impossible: we survived our Johnson Ave home.
We survived our Johnson Ave home...

------------------------------------------------------------

Meagan O’Neill
Role: One of Colin’s Groomsmaids, along with Kelly Mills and Kristin West
When Did Colin and Meagan First Meet: 8 years ago
Where Did They First Meet: Frost Middle School, Fairfax, VA
Where Have They Met Since: Chevy’s, Carlos O’Kelly’s (RIP), PJ Skidoo’s, Pizzeria Uno, Jaipur, Curry Mantra, Bollywood Bistro, Hard Times, Caribbean Breeze, Auld Shebeen, Coyote Cantina, Outback, Glory Days, Top Golf, Human Relations Committee meetings, Persimmon Drive for the most epic Catchphrase ever, Fogarty Court, Magna Carta Road, Kelly’s place near Tysons where she had the Ice Bowl, the calm stretch of Little River Turnpike after the Ice Bowl, the Waikiki apartment with the friendly neighbors, the Polynesian Culture Center with the fraudulent canines, Death With A View, Kona Brewery, best beachside bar / boat cruise in the US.

Song Link: “Virginia Tech Fight Song”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWWpFWrHojs  If there is a bigger Tech fan, I would like to meet her.
Alternate Lyrics: Meagan, you're Meagan, with spirit true and faithful, 
Backing up your team with hopes undying; 
Meagan, oh, Meagan, your students out to win every contest, show particular pep and life if it's pizza for which they vying...

Meggie, being serious, Meggie, you know all student minds are with you.
It's no luck that all their scores seem high; 
Converting fractions, converting decimals, still greet you with a glad returning, 
You're the pride of H-A-W-A-I-I 

Chorus: 
Just watch our Megs so small and active,
Every ounce to support the Orange and Maroon, 
Let's go, Megs! We know few whose legs are stronger,
After conquering marathons and mud pits, scary milestones should not be around much longer.
So give a Oahu, Oahu, Oahu, HI! 
You're the pride of H-A-W-A-I-I!

Meagan, oh, Meagan! Hope you're soon kickball champion, 
Adding to your list another vict'ry.
Add those to rowing, flip cupping, and banshee wailing, the sports that made you famous. 

What was that? Seem to have forgot one, as I notice an old coot behind you, 
Watching ev'ry movement that you make; 
This guy should know the swing was smooth before he got here.
He should keep the tutorial to himself, for Meggie's sake...
 
------------------------------------------------------------

Kelly Mills
Role: One of Colin’s Groomsmaids, along with Meagan O’Neill and Kristin West
When Did Colin and Kelly First Meet: 8 years ago
Where Did They First Meet: Frost Middle School, Fairfax, VA
Where Have They Met Since: Chevy’s, Carlos O’Kelly’s (RIP), PJ Skidoo’s, Pizzeria Uno, Jaipur, Curry Mantra, Bollywood Bistro, Hard Times, Caribbean Breeze, Auld Shebeen, Coyote Cantina, Outback, Glory Days, Top Golf, Persimmon Drive for the most epic Catchphrase ever, Fogarty Court, Magna Carta Road, the Ice Bowl house near Tysons, World of Beer, Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Redwood Drive, the Sand Christmas Tree, Rocco’s Tacos.




Song Link: “UVA Fight Song”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfrdQV2UZG4  If there is a bigger UVA fan, I would like to meet her.

Alternate Lyrics: Come and sing dear old Kelly's name,
For her, the Cavs and Big Blue roar.
For the world yields honor to her name,
Especially those who knew her deeds in Frost years 1 through 4.

Thanks to her, workdays now have soul,
Even with her gone, the naan pledge stays strong,
Down Pickett cars still roll;
Singing the Jaipur triumph song.

Pete and Eli now help her win the fight;
They've all gained Victor Crumb and Cruz's due.
Big and little man raise their voice to praise
Kelly, Harry, and the Giants too.

So, through the years, though I despise the Cavaliers,
I still shout Kelly's name.
Whether it's in our Fair city or West Palm B,
My faith in the koala remains the same!

------------------------------------------------------------

Kristin West
Role: One of Colin’s Groomsmaids, along with Meagan O’Neill and Kelly Mills.
When Did Colin and Kristin First Meet: 5 years ago
Where Did Colin and Kristin First Meet: Kyle’s Pentagon apartment, Arlington, VA
Where Have They Met Since: Chestertown MD, Vapiano birthday, five thousand AHHPPP meetings, Crystal City Wine Festival, The Green Leafe, Paul’s Deli, William and Mary Hall Lot, Sunset Drive, Jefferson Davis Hwy, Inverness Woods Court, Jones Point Park, Thaiss Park, Columbia MD, Wheaton MD, Harrisonsburg VA.

Song Link: “Ravens Fight Song”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcwAfBj9k3E If there is a bigger Ravens fan than Kristin, I would like to meet her.
Alternate Lyrics: K-R-I-S-T-I-N Kristin!

Kristin's song -- let's go!
The goals she sets sail across the line.
Mount Holyoke, museum management, she's spread her talents wide.
When she makes hollowed-out dry-ice books, she crafts them with Chestertown pride.
MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT.

She even made a lifelong Redskin fan grow Raven wings overnight.
How she'll dive into and add to the wedding, we shall see.
One things for certain, it's Kristin,
So it'll be a triumphant victory.

Kristin's song -- let's go!
The goals she sets sail across the line.
Mount Holyoke, museum management, she's spread her talents wide.
When she makes hollowed-out dry-ice books, she crafts them with Chestertown pride.
MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT.

She even made a lifelong Redskin fan grow Raven wings overnight.
How she'll dive into and add to the wedding, we shall see.
One things for certain, it's Kristin,
So it'll be a triumphant victory.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment