Saturday, January 10, 2015

Parents

Nadine Verbesey
Role: Colin’s Mom
When Did Colin and Nadine First Meet: 29+ years ago – February 20, 1985 at 5:50pm, after a breeze of a delivery…
Where Did They First Meet: Manhattan Hospital, NYC.  [Technically we met during the sonogram / when I first kicked, but let’s go with the actual delivery.]
Where Have They Met Since: A street in Park Slope, Johnson Ave, Maine Ave, Fogarty Court, Jefferson Davis Hwy, Frost Middle School, Auld Shebeen, Chevy’s, the Harry Potter Engagement Extravaganza, the car rides when we dissected “The Jockey,” “Graven Image,” and Hamlet, the KFC meals when we played 20 Questions, the Wilco and Weezer pages on the TheGoodLife621.blogspot.com she visited, Kew Gardens Cinema, the NYC Scavenger Hunt with Hark, Marion Hinch-Norman, and Andrew Schmadel, the visit with James to PS 208, the visit with Katie to Margaret Mulvey Elementary, the many waves at LIRR train platforms.

Song Link: “Johnny B. Goode” by Chuck Berry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvlXuCWIxGc.  I remember being shocked as a kid when I heard that Chuck Berry wrote a song named “Nadine.”  I had never heard of another person who shared my mom’s name – or her family nickname as a kid, “Deeney.”  This month, when working on the wedding website, I remembered another Chuck Berry song, which seemed to connect much more strongly with my mom.  It’s hard to think of someone more good-hearted and moral than my mom, and hard to think of someone more determined to push through bad times and persevere.  Thus, I present, “Deeney The Good…”
Alternate Lyrics: Deep down in Long Island, close to New Hyde Park.
Ten minutes up from Woodmere, ten seconds from evil tree bark.
There stood an ancient Malverne cabin made of stone and wood,
Where lived a suburban mama named Deeney the Good.
Few taught by nuns ever learned to read or write so well.
Confuse less and fewer, and she sure could tell.

Go, go,
Go, Deeney, go.
Go,
Go, Deeney, go.
When the going gets tough,
The tough get going, so
Go, Deeney, go.
Go,
Deeney the Good.

She used to carry half her life in a Staples cart and sack.
Gotta be prepared; can't make a second trip back.
Oh, you would not be believe all the degrees my mama's made.
Certified in Social Work, Spanish, ESL, and probably more, my memory's starting to fade.
Fellow Hofstra students would sometimes stop and say
How do you do it, Nadine?  I'm still on my first M.A.!

Go, go,
Go, Deeney, go.
Go,
Go, Deeney, go.
When the going gets tough,
The tough get going, so,
Go,
Go, Deeney, go.
Go,
Deeney the Good.

Seems like her mother once told her, "Deeney, you're such a loving woman,
The social leader of the Curley-Verbesey clan."
Friends are drawn to visit from miles around
To gab at nana's apartment once the sun goes down.
You'd think Whitney Houston was in attendance given all the accepted invites,
Really all that's needed is, "Nadine's gonna be here tonight."

Go, go,
Go, go, Deeney, go,
Go, go, Deeney, go,
Go, go, Deeney, go,
Go, go, Deeney, go,
Deeney the Good.

------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Verbesey
Role: Colin’s Father
When Did Colin and Paul First Meet: 29+ years ago – February 20, 1985 at 5:50pm, after a breeze of a delivery…
Where Did They First Meet: Manhattan Hospital, NYC.  [Technically we met during the sonogram / when he was first told that I kicked, but let’s go with the actual delivery.]
Where Have They Met Since: A street in Park Slope, Johnson Ave, Maine Ave, Fogarty Court, Jefferson Davis Hwy, Frost Middle School, Auld Shebeen, Chevy’s, Cooperstown, Hermit Island, the Point Lookout cabana, pre-Driver’s-Ed drives around Long Beach, endless drives around Fairfax looking for apartments, RVC Fantasy Theater when we waited until after the last credit of the brilliant Up in the Air, Our Basement Theater when we chuckled before the first credit of the brilliant Memento, him telling me how nothing compared to Breaking Bad’s “Grilled” and “Peakaboo,” me telling him how nothing compared to The Good Wife’s “Hitting the Fan” and Friday Night Lights’ “The Son,” the many waves at LIRR train stations.

Song Link: Frank Sinatra song that will be linked…eventually.  The song has already been chosen, and the lyrics have been written, but I am waiting for the most meaningful time to reveal them.  For now, just know it was sung by Sinatra.  Further info: The Verbeseys are not known for their singing.  Actually, we are known for our singing – and how glass starts to shatter if we as much as whistle or hum.  Truth to be told, though, my dad is a strong singer.  Almost every Saturday night, he would croon along with Bobby Darin or Dean Martin, and it would actually sound…good.  My dad was best at the voice we heard the most often: Frank Sinatra.  Saturdays with Sinatra (sponsored by Uncle Ben’s Rice) remains one of the best memories of my childhood. 

------------------------------------------------------------ 

Helen Grace Tagunicar

Role: Hark's Mother

Mom 1.jpg
Mom 2.jpg

Song Link: "Amazing Grace": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHVAXxvqaDA

Alternate Lyrics:

It’s Helen Grace. How sweet the sound
Her laugh does make to me.
Contagious is her glee, whenever she’s around.
My mom, she will always be.

T’was Grace that gave me through the years
My per-sonal-ity.
An extroverted kid. A people person here.
A warm mentality.

Through many Filipino dishes made.
Her cooking cannot be replaced
Adobo, turon, lumpia, and so on.
Pansit and so much more to taste!

Her love for me shall never fail.
Her love will never cease.
I hope that some day when kids, have come my way.
They’ll know exact same love released.

When time has passed ten thousand years
I always will be her son.
With no less love through laughs and tears
Than when we’ve first begun.

------------------------------------------------------------

Gerry Tagunicar

Role: Hark's Father

Dad 2.jpg
Dad 3.jpg

Song Link: "Let It Be" by Paul McCartney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcBnJw-H2wQ&list=RDWcBnJw-H2wQ

Alternate Lyrics:

(Let It Be)
When I find myself in times of trouble
Father Gerry comes to me.
Speaking words of Wisdom. Gerry T.
And in my hour of darkness
He is standing right in front of me.
Speaking words of Wisdom. Gerry T.
Gerry T. Gerry T.
Gerry T. Gerry T.
Speaking words of Wisdom. Gerry T.

And ever since I was a baby,
He is always guiding me.
When I call, he'll answer. Gerry T.
And all the years I've been so grateful
Of all things he taught to me.
When I call, he'll answer. Gerry T.
Gerry T. Gerry T.
Gerry T. Gerry T.
When I call, he'll answer. Gerry T.

And now that I am taking this step.
A hero he has been to me.
Supporting me down to the end. Gerry T.
And one day when I am a father.
I hope that I'll eventually
Be half as great as Daddy was. Gerry T.
Gerry T. Gerry T.
Gerry T. Gerry T.
Be half as great as Daddy was. Gerry T. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment